"If you haven’t heard of the Bechdel Test, it’s a test of gender representation in the media. It has three criteria: a) there must be at least two women, who b) talk to each other, c) about something other than a man. Only half of all movies pass this test, most often because the female characters never talk to each other; they are defined by their relationships with men. By contrast, female characters and their relationships with each other are so central to the story of Orphan Black that [it] not only passes the Bechdel Test, but fails the reverse of the [it]." (x)
"I don’t give a shit about being approachable…" - Aubrey Plaza
Somehow We Get There
Melissa Ferrick · Willing To Wait
Somehow We Get There - Melissa Ferrick
you've done orphan black and mint... how about orphan black and teal?
I’m on it, like a bonnet, Anon!
River by Juliette Cassidy for C-Heads
season 2 behind the scenes with skyler wexler
- Why I like them: (bb!MDK) Natalie Murphy is so full of Irish sass (her first real line is ‘Wot are you bleedin’ lookin’ at?!’) and a bloody fantastic singer! She’s a bit love-sick, but she seems to stay out of the drama the best. She doesn’t know her right from her left. SHE IS JUST ADORABLEEE.
- Why I don’t: Joey was a mistake…
- Favorite episode (scene if movie): The way you treat me is a shame. Hooow could you huUUrt me so bad? BAABY don’t you know? that I’m the BBest thiiing you eveeer haaaAAAaaad? Kiiiiisss mee once again. Don’t you never never say that were throughhhh. Cuz I ain’t never. I Ain’t Never. I AIN’T NEVER. NO NO. LOVED A MAN. THE WAY THAT I. I LOVE YOUoUUUuuu. (And singing in Irish)
- Favorite season/movie: n/a
- Favorite line: "Whatdoya think Jimmy, will they be eatin’ chips outta our knickers?"
- Favorite outfit: The purple and black fringe skirt and crop top combo. (But also, the long-sleeve black dress - KILL ME)
- OTP: Natalie and Jimmy.
- Brotp: Natalie and Bernie.
- Head Canon: n/a
- Unpopular opinion: I don’t know if this is unpopular (Is there even a Commitments fandom?) but Natalie is clearly the best singer of the bunch.
- A wish: Could Natalie have sang all the song please? Thanks.
- An oh-god-please-don’t-ever-happen: Don’t you never never go back to Joey tbh.
- 5 words to best describe them: DAT VOICE. SO FECKING IRISH.
- My nickname for them: n/a
- Why I like them: SIOBHAN SADLER!!!! Siobhan is such an incredibly character. I love that she is so many things: a mother, an activist, a rebel, a passionate lover, sassy, stubborn as fuck, manipulative, surreptitious, deeply caring, confident in her actions and intelligence, etc. etc. She has an incredibly strong moral compass, and will protect the ones she loves regardless of the cost. She is able to see the larger picture and make tough decisions. She left EVERYONE SHE KNEW to move Sarah and Felix to Toronto so that they would be safe. She may be secretive, but her actions speak so loudly.
- Why I don’t: n/a
- Favorite episode (scene if movie): The obvious answer is Episode Two of Season Two because we learn so much about her, and we get to see her do the things we know she’s capable of to protect her family (and her last two scenes kill me). But I also love Episode Seven of Season Two when she goes to Dyad, and Episode Two of Season One with Felix. (Also MDK is brilliant in the scene with Paul in the car in 2.7)
- Favorite season/movie: Though I fell in love with her in Season One, I think it’s hard not to go with Season Two since she had so much more screen time.
- Favorite line: "There’s always a high price to pay for righting wrongs."
"Whatever ever is going on, if it takes one step towards Kira, you need to yell fire. The home we’ve built for ourselves in this country, we burn it all down if we have to."
”I’m a mum, aren’t I? If you think you’re taking Sarah back, you’ll have to kill me.”
- Favorite outfit: I will never be over Episode Nine of Season Two - Patti Smith braids, button up, blazer - UGH! Runners up include the leather jacket, the Pussy Riot jumper, cuffed jeans, blue skirt (aka give me your wardrobe please). POCKETS.
- OTP: The thirst for Carlton was real even in Season One, but I’ve deluded myself with so much Marian and Siobhan that I’m pretty much convinced they actually happened. “We’re hoping there are STILL good people in the most corrupt places.” Don’t deny it - Like Siobhan, you’re invested. (Siobhan + Tea)
- Brotp: Siobhan and her family give me life. Also, Siobhan calling Alison, “Chicken.”
- Head Canon: n/a
- Unpopular opinion: I wouldn’t say liking Siobhan is an unpopular opinion, but I do think that Clone Club often doesn’t give her the credit she deserves. I feel like she slips the radar of people, and I don’t understand how. In the same vein, I don’t think Siobhan is shady. Nor to I particularly care if she can be trusted. From tags on sets, I think a lot of people take her actions (like giving Helena to Castor) at face value without considering the complex circumstances (in this case, it was the best way to save Kira, a defenseless child, and Helena is a trained killer who’s gotten out of much worse). Also I really dislike Paul/Siobhan.
- A wish: The moment when Sarah hugs Siobhan to call her down in the finale just as Siobhan has done for Sarah in the past, was so incredibly lovely. I’ve love more family interaction between Siobhan and Sarah in the next season (please don’t make it all angst after Helena). And I’d love for her to meet Cosima and Tony. ALSO multiple scenes with Marian. Please. Thanks. Bye.
- An oh-god-please-don’t-ever-happen: Jackie has made me fearful about her death before Season Two even began. My worst fear is that they will kill her off as a way to ultimately prove her loyalty to Kira and Sarah.
- 5 words to best describe them: Complex, Rebel, Protector, Orchestrator, Mother.
- My nickname for them: Not really a nickname, but the S clearly stands for Sass. (I do think Bhovan Sadler is kind of hilarious)
(Someone else asked about Siobhan)
- Why I like them: How can I even describe my love for Laura MotherFrakking Roslin?! She was a school teacher before the cylons attacked, and she stepped it the fuck up as the greatest president (lady or otherwise) ever. I admire her strength, her profound confidence in her beliefs, her reserve, her honesty and ability to listen, her fight, I DON’T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE. I admire EVERYTHING about Laura Roslin. Also, sass.
- Why I don’t: I don’t know how to answer this because Laura made some decisions that I maybe don’t agree with, but they completely fit the character, and I love her unconditionally.
- Favorite episode (scene if movie): I really love the scene between Laura and Bill in episode two of season four when they confront each other - “You’re afraid to live alone.” “And you’re afraid to die that way.”
- Favorite season/movie: Season three was the best showcase of Mary McDonnell’s unicorn hair. Also New Caprica flashbacks, the heartbreaking trial, and “I want you to take him and I want you to toss him out the nearest airlock!”
- Favorite line: “I played my role in this farce. A dying leader will guide the people to the blah, blah, blah…frakking blah, blah. I’ve been there, I’ve done that, now what ? Is there another role that I have to play for the rest of my life ? Do you remember what we said on New Caprica ? How we talked about trying to live for today ? Well you better think about that because maybe tomorrow really isn’t coming, maybe today is all we have left. And maybe, just maybe, I’ve earned the right to live a little before I die.” ALSO, “How long do you have to live, Karen?!”
- Favorite outfit: The New Caprica giant grey sweater ALWAYS, but the opera house jacket is FIERCE.
- OTP: Spaceparents is probably the greatest ship to ever sail.
- Brotp: ”He was so young…” *weeps profusely*
- Head Canon: Laura is an INFJ and no one can tell me differently.
- Unpopular opinion: I don’t know if I have any unpopular opinions because I don’t know much of what people in the Battlestar Galactica fandom think.
- A wish: LAURA AND BILL IN THEIR (sex) CABIN!
- An oh-god-please-dont-ever-happen: Hahahaha, don’t touch me.
- 5 words to best describe them: President, Tyrant, Protector, Reserved, Empathetic
- My nickname for them: n/a
Deptford Goth · Life After Defo (Bonus Track Version)
Give me a character and I will answer:
- Why I like them
- Why I don’t
- Favorite episode (scene if movie)
- Favorite season/movie
- Favorite line
- Favorite outfit
- Head Canon
- Unpopular opinion
- A wish
- An oh-god-please-dont-ever-happen
- 5 words to best describe them
- My nickname for them